Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Solution: Nvidia GPU Crash in Lenovo Z500

I have decided to share this solution for the reason that I owe the online community for much of what I know now about computers.

About a month ago, I bought this Lenovo Z500 Notebook computer for its i7 processor, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GT 640M GPU.  It's quite a nice spec for personal mobile CAD workstation.  The problem is that in less than a week, the Nvidia GPU started to cause the computer to crash.

I did every conceivable solution that have been shared by the online community.  However, of all the solutions available online, the only solid answer is basically "Send it back to Lenovo Service Centers for warranty service/claim", which is something I agree as the best solution.

I'm quite a computer hardware savvy myself, so, after doing a lot of tests, updates, tweakings, etc., here are my first set of conclusions:

  1. Windows 8 is not causing this problem.  It merely reacts to the GPU problem. 
  2. Latest and previous Nvidia GPU drivers for the GT 700 series are stable and has nothing to do with the computer crash.
  3. The computer works properly when using only the Integrated Graphics Processor (Intel HD 4000)
  4. The Nvidia GPU is working properly.
  5. The problem is the caused by unstable data transmission between the Nvidia GPU chip (in my case the GT 740M) and the motherboard.

Caution!

The solution that I am about to share MAY VOID YOUR COMPUTER'S WARRANTY.  As an advice, do it at your own risk and keep in mind this:
  • If you are not a computer hardware savvy, please don't do this.  Rather, find someone who can take a laptop computer apart and assemble it back correctly without causing any damage.
  • Do this only if you cannot rely or wait for the warranty service.  Warranty services may take 1week to 1 month, quite a pain in the butt if your work depends on your computer.
  • Make sure that no scratches and dents on the unit are created while doing this.

Solution

This is the solution that I personally took at great risk because I don't trust the local Lenovo Service Center in my location.  Additionally, I can't lose my computer for a month because my work depends on it. 

Tools Needed
  • Small Philips Screw Driver
  • Heat Gun or a small Hot air blower
So, here here are the fundamental steps.
  1. Drain the laptop computer's battery as preparation for disassembly.
  2. Download the Lenovo Z500 Mantenance Manual. Use this as a guide for proper disassembly procedure.  Lenovo Z500 Mantenance Manual
  3. Open/Disassemble the laptop computer until the bottom cover is removed and stop.
  4. Locate the Nvidia GPU Chip.  Normally there are only two chips that are using the computer's heat sink:  the Processor and the GPU.  
  5. Use the heat gun or the hot air blower to blow hot air to the Nvidia GPU for just about 30sec to 1min.  Caution! Do not overdo this heating procedure.  
  6. Slightly tighten (just a tiny bit) the 2 screws that are holding down the heat sink of the GPU.
  7. Carefully reassemble the laptop computer.
I hope by this article I am able to contribute to the online community.

Also, there is this youtube video on this procedure that I plan to create on weekend.   So, until then.















No comments:

Post a Comment